There are many sources of support to help you manage your osteoporosis

Trauma Fracture

Types of Doctors For Osteoporosis

  • Your primary care doctor or internal medicine specialist is a good person to start with, because he or she knows your medical history and lifestyle. Your doctor may treat you or refer you to a specialist if needed
  • Gynecologists, who typically focus on women’s health, can discuss lifestyle factors that may affect bone density and fracture risk with the onset of menopause
  • Rheumatologists, who treat patients with arthritis and other age-related bone disorders, can diagnose and treat many bone diseases, including osteoporosis
  • Endocrinologists, who see patients with hormone-related issues, also manage the treatment of metabolic disorders such as osteoporosis
  • Fracture liaison services (FLS) are a resource if a fracture leads to hospitalization. Your doctor may refer you to an FLS, where a coordinator will work with you to help you recover from your current fracture and help reduce the risk of a future fracture caused by osteoporosis
  • Orthopedic surgeons may be involved with repairing your fracture. They can also help make sure that you get a follow-up diagnosis and an osteoporosis treatment plan

Because you may see different types of doctors, it’s important to let your entire healthcare team know if you have osteoporosis.

Download your doctor discussion guide Download-icon

Trauma Fracture

Other Resources

There are lots of groups and associations that can help you with education, information and more.